iSync "No Device Found" Error on OSX 10.5 Leopard

On the weekend I was lucky enough to be sent a copy of the awesome mobile Python book by my brother for my birthday. After hitting an issue with updating my PyS60 install I thought it would be a plan to re configure my phone so that I could start working with a freshly upgraded Python install.

Before I did this I wanted to backup my contacts to the mac addressbook - always a good idea just incase something goes wrong. When I opened iSync I was greeted with a blank iSync window - despite having previously configuring the phone to work with iSync.

Confused I thought "ok maybe it's to do the with phone?", so I backed up through the Nokia PC Suite software running under VMware Fusion and then carried out the Phone software re-installation.

After nuking the E61 I was able to restore my contacts from the backup and I could successfully install the latest PyS60.

Next I re-tried the iSync software but it was still playing up. I spent a while trying to delete and re-associate pairing but it all got me no closer to a working iSync.

Next I looked at the logs via console.app and noticed some interesting entries:

Jun 23 19:04:32 x104878 iSync[399]: SyncServices assertion failure (nil != _constructedIdMapper) in [ISDSqliteRecordIdMapper constructedIdMapper], /SourceCache/SyncServices2/SyncServices2-389.6/SyncServices/ISDRecordIdMapper.m:392 Could not initialize constructedids.synciddb at /Users/scol/Library/Application Support/SyncServices/Local/clientdata/1fd848069e3e1f39b824ff18b43821bb5ee6a48a
Jun 23 19:04:32 x104878 iSync[399]: Failed to create client state. Error was [ISDSqliteRecordIdMapper constructedIdMapper]: Could not initialize constructedids.synciddb at /Users/scol/Library/Application Support/SyncServices/Local/clientdata/1fd848069e3e1f39b824ff18b43821bb5ee6a48a

I decided to try renaming /Users/scol/Library/Application Support/SyncServices/ to /Users/scol/Library/Application Support/SyncServices.old and rebooted hoping for the best. Lo and behold as soon as I fired up iSync the problem was resolved and there was the E61 icon I was expecting. WIN!